Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Slowly coming together


Isn't this a gorgeous font for Amelia's name? I thought so too and then found out that it's actually Liz's, Amelia's mum, normal handwriting. I scaled it up from the quilt draft that Liz and I put together and transfered it to the paper side of fusible webbing (in reverse) before ironing it to the chosen fabric, a hot pink squiggle from Spotlight. Here it is laid out to check placement before finally ironing it onto the quilt front.


Whenever I wasn't able to spread out and take over my dinner table or living room floor, I worked on the caterpillar pieces that needed hand sewing.



I drew on the caterpillars legs with my water erasable Clover pen


and then fused on little ovals of black velvet for the feet. Later I will free motion stitch the leg line and around the raw edges of the foot with matching black thread.

Next onto the flower vine. I drew in the vinework and pinned in templates of all the leaves.


Then I fussy cut all the leaves from 3 different fabrics and roughly cut them out before pinning them in place. Again I wanted to see them all in place before committing to ironing everything permanently.


Once all the leaves were ironed on I stitched in the vine lines and secured all the leaves by sewing around all the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment